Monday, March 5, 2007

What's a Mock Transfer?

On March 1st, I had what is called a "Mock Transfer". I was so eager to get in and see what it entailed.

I arrived at the clinic on time as usual and ready to go. Literally and emotionally.

I had been told that for the real transfer you need a full bladder, so I naturally assumed I would need a full bladder for the mock transfer. In my case, I was off the hook and told I could use the restroom upon arriving.

As I went into the familiar ultrasound room, I disrobed from the waist down and waited for the Dr.

He arrived and began his exam. A small catheder was placed inside my uterus and just like that, it was over. The Dr. told his assitant the measurement, showed my husband and I where he would be placing the eggs and we were done.

Pretty uneventful, but during this process, each appointment is one step closer to having a baby.

Other information on having a mock transfer:

According to the Cooper Center for Infertility, "A mock transfer should be done on a non-IVF cycle, days 3-11 of your cycle. For the mock transfer, the physician inserts a tiny plastic catheter into the uterus. This allows the physician to measure the depth and direction of your uterus. You may experience some cramping during the procedure. It is recommended that you take Ibuprofen (approximately 600 mgs) 1/2 hour prior to this procedure. This will reduce the cramping. If you cannot take Ibuprofen, take 2 Extra-Strength Tylenol tablets instead. You may schedule to have this performed at the time of your IVF consult or along with having cervical cultures."

No comments: